3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

EGR valve removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
butch1581
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve removal

I appoligise in advance if this is out there somewhere, but I searched the crap out out of it and couldn't find my answer.

Can you remove the EGR valve on the HEMI's? Is there any benefit? How to?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM
butch1581
Captain

This is why I want to get rid of my EGR valve!

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19954560

Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Ice-Forever
All Star

I could be wrong here, but I think you have to have the EGR valve....? Doesn't it have to do with your throttle and emissions as well? I think you might have been talking about that Air intake in the album?

For that you remove the Hemi Hat that sits up there and the tubing connects TO the EGR valve I'm pretty sure?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
butch1581
Captain

The EGR valve releases exhaust gas into the intake. Fourth picture down shows where the hose from the EGR pokes into the intake. I already have a CAI so the HEMI hat is gone.
The tubing that ties into the stock intake box is just a crankcase breather. I thought on the older trucks you could remove the EGR and block it off so you dont have the Exhaust gas going into the intake anymore. It is set up that way stock for something to do with emissions, but where I live does not require emissions testing.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Basically, the EGR valve is used to reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx) during combustion by keeping combustion temperatures below 2500 degrees. This is done by injecting an inert (non burning) gas into the air/fuel mixture of the engine. The inert gas helps cool the combustion event to below the threshold where NOx are formed. Exhaust gas works well as an inert gas. The EGR valve allows a metered amount of exhaust to enter the intake of your engine. An ECU controlled solenoid controls vacuum to the EGR. The valve is closed with no vacuum, open with vacuum.

In the days before "California emissions" and multiple O2 sensors, disabling the EGR system was simple. Basically all you had to do was remove a tube and plug the vacuum line.

Unfortunately, there are now sensors that govern EGR operation so removing the EGR will not only generate a CEL, but the PCM will attempt to remedy the situation by adjusting your air/fuel mix.

I know at the very least, if you plug the EGR system you will have to have your timing retarded to prevent detonation. This would degrade engine performance.

Unless your willing to obtain a custom tune which allows for the removal of the EGR system, IMO leave it where it is and just clean the TB every 15k miles like I do...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
butch1581
Captain

Damn good explaination! That is what I was looking for. Thanks Hammer
I assume the Predator I have will not be able to fix the "tuning" issue, with the 93 Canned tune? I would have to have a "custom tune" done correct?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Your welcome, I try

Even though it'd be fairly simple for a tuner company to add an "EGR Delete" to a canned tune, I don't think they'd do it because of CARB implications.

It'd be a custom tune thing.

In the 2500/3500 Hemi 5.7, there is no EGR valve and of course their factory tune is written for not having one.

With a 1500 Hemi, the tune (and sensors) look for the EGR to be present and functioning properly. Besides screwing up the timing and A/F ratio, the CEL that would generate would cause you to fail inspection in an inspection state. It will show EGR NOT SET, which would fail you.

I know Hemifever is doing a tune for the SCT tuner that features an EGR DELETE option. His tune is used in conjunction with the following Mopar parts:

PN 1-53032739AA = EGR block plate and bolts
PN 04891312AA = EGR tube delete for intake

These are the factory parts in a 2500/3500 Hemi, which incidentally, due to their weight, do not have to conform to emissions standards.

I don't know this for fact, because even though I've had a few "brainstorming sessions" with Hemifever, I've never discussed EGR with him, but I assume his tune basically omits the lines in the stock tune which looks for and controls all EGR functions and reprograms the A/F ratios as well as retarding timing a little. So you would not generate a CEL, and unless they did a visual inspection, you would not fail emission testing.

You'd prolly gain a very slight HP advantage without an EGR, mainly because the exhaust gases injected are hot (and we all know that the colder the intake air, the better the performance).
At the same time, MPG would be slightly degraded by removing the EGR, for a couple of reasons. First, the retarded timing necessary and secondly because the mass of the inert gas will reduce manifold vacuum (which will slightly reduce pumping losses) as well as slowing the burn rate (already burnt gasses will not re-burn).

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-07-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

These are the Mopar "EGR Delete" components I described in my last post:

Name:  egrblock.jpg
Views: 7841
Size:  97.8 KB

I hope this helps...

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM
austinbest
Amateur

Sorry to reply to a 3 year old thread but my newest thread isn't getting any response except a link to this one, so maybe this one can be rejuvenated!

Here is my last post in the other thread, please answer here or there, i will check both...

"Thanks for the link but it doesn't mention if there is a way to wire something in like there is an o2 sensor. If not how do i go about getting a tune? Local dodge dealer? Speed shop? Anyone know of anywhere in Chattanooga TN?"

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
jkgusaf
Rookie

If you read above ^ it says you can obtain a custom tune from hemifever tuning.... He (hemifever tuning) has a website, and a facebook page. Got my Predator from there. Good customer support! Just e-mail him.

Quick Reply: EGR valve removal